In a career so far spanning 12 years, I’ve gone from working for a design agency to corporate companies building web applications, back to a design agency. This mix has enabled me to cover a wide variety of sites and target audiences. This portfolio contains some selected highlights.
Outside of my main permanent work, I often find time to provide my experience and knowledge to personal clients that I fulfil during evening or weekends. These include:
- Amberfilm – Wedding Videographers – read the Amberfilm Case Study.
- Formby Cladding and Maintenance Ltd
Work while at Pretty
Pretty is a digital design studio led by creativity and good ideas. We’re designers, thinkers, technologists and innovators who develop and nurture brands and interfaces. Founded in 2002 and located near Tower Bridge we continue to work with varied organisations to solve their identity and technology challenges.
Things I’ve done:
- Initially worked on the UK site, written in Web Forms. Rewrote some functionality to make it more dynamic, such as a navigation system based on sitemap files with custom attributes.
- Began separating and rewriting account management features of the UK site into a new MVC 2 based project, removing legacy code and using internationalisation and globalisation features such as resource files to enable switching between UK accounts to other countries.
- Subsequent roll outs to Germany, France and Italy.
- Developed a configuration management system that moved settings out of the web.config and into a heavily cached database driven configuration system that could be maintained using a web application.
- Implemented a new error logging system
Work while at Euromonitor International [2005-2010]
Euromonitor International is a world leader in strategy research for consumer markets. Global coverage and leading edge innovation make their products essential for companies worldwide.
Things I did:
- I worked in the web development team responsible for the platforms which delivered reports and statistics via subscription-based web applications.
- This included developing new features, maintaining existing features, and providing technical support to subscribers, including conference calls with Technical contacts for large clients, providing guidance on security measures associated with accessing the platform.
- Participated in the revamp of the main corporate site, primarily on a bespoke CMS system for departments to maintain content
- Worked on Windows Forms-based data entry tools used by researchers and analysts.
- Worked on three iterations of their global subscription based IMIS and GMID services, before they merged the products into one Portal system.
- Encouraged and implemented use of web standards, technologies and methods in projects, writing best practices and guidelines on coding, style and efficiency for other team members to follow.
- Gave guidance on Web Accessibility issues (WAI WCAG, DDA) to the design team and managers.
Work while at NFO Europe [2003-2004]
(Acquired by Taylor Nelson Sofres UK in 2003)
TNS is a world leader in market research, global market information and business analysis. TNS provides market research insight across all industry and business sectors.
Things I did:
- Part of the intranet applications team, responsible for developing and maintaining a series of integrated applications for project management, scheduling and payroll systems.
- Developed a traffic lights system to indicate project status including a messaging system for teams to discuss projects
- Maintained the payroll system used for booking and paying Telephone Interviewers.
Work while at James Kelsey Design [1999-2002]
(Bought by Incepta Group, then became TwentySix London)
James Kelsey Design was a new media agency in London that grew to 70 employees with high profile clients including Waitrose, John Lewis Partnership, Unilever, British Red Cross, British Tourist Authority, British Council, ICI, DTI, Canon, Hamley’s and Kenwood Electronics.
Things I did:
- Mostly worked on the Waitrose.com ISP site, then worked in a small team responsible for creating a bespoke CMS for them.
- Also worked on Hamleys, Wellington Underwriters, Workspace Group and other well known Business to Business and Business to Consumer sites
- Lead a small UI team that focussed on delivering HTML from supplied designs ready for backend developers to work with.
- Technical lead on UI team best practices for our web development.
- Developed best practice guidelines focusing on Web Standards (XHTML, CSS) and Accessibility Guidelines (WAI WCAG, Bobby, Section 508, DDA), presenting internal seminars and producing internal company documentation for our UI Development team.
- Worked on an ill fated web accessibility portal that failed to ever see the light of day